Thursday, October 22, 2009

Midterm Evaluation

Last year at Edsel Ford High School I took AP Literature for my English class. I believe that class did a pretty good job preparing me for college writing in most aspects. However, I am learning that there is still a fairly big gap and many differences between the high school writing (even AP) and college level writing. One rule that I learned in high school that I am still having trouble getting over is the use of "I" in an essay. For four years, if not more in my pre-high school years, I was taught to NEVER use "I" of "me" in a paper. I never really understood why but after following the rule for so long I'm having trouble breaking free of it when I write formal papers. Even in just the short amount of time I've been in this class I have learned a lot about, and improved, my writing skills. Some specific things I have learned are analyzing literature more in depth, how to argue my opinions and support them, and I have learned about blogging. A few things I really like about this class, that I did not expect before we started, are The Book Thief, which was a story I really enjoyed, and also just how much we learn about WWII. In the past English classes were always about writing and reading... not really learning anything... just writing and reading. In a few months in this class I have learned more about writing and WWII than I have in years of other classes. So, overall, this class has been a very fluid transition for me, and I don't really have any complaints about it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment