Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Elie Wiesel

Elie Wiesel's "Unniversal Lessons of the Holocaust" and chapter 2 of "Night" share some very familiar lines about Wiesel's experiences in a camp. I just read Jon's post about this topic and I really like his mention of how we are losing survivors who lived in these circumstances. Work like Wiesel's needs to be kept and maintained as we will soon run out of sources of this information. We must preserve what information we can for future generations to learn from the mistake made in the World War II era. I have just recently discovered that I have a relative who is a survivor of a concentration camp, and others who were victims of the camp. He never talks about it and I do not wish to disrespect him by talking about it, but finding this out has added a whole new emotional aspect to this topic. I'm finding it easier to relate to those who were affected by the Holocaust, and seeing Elie Wiesel's strength to talk so much about the issue when others are simply unable to, is an astounding feat. This lesson needs to be passed on so nothing like this ever happens again.

1 comment: